• Skip to main content

Timsbury community website

Facilities, groups, parish council and business information for the village of Timsbury, near Bath

  • Home
  • Parish Council
    • About the Parish Council
    • Members & committees
    • Meetings
    • Policies & Procedures
    • Elections and Co-options
    • Finances
    • Communications
    • Activities & Responsibilities
    • Planning
  • Activities
    • Arts, drama & music
    • Children
    • Youth
    • Social
    • Events
    • Fitness, Health & Wellbeing
    • Sports & Games
    • Gardens, Food & Environment
      • Green Action Group
    • Walks
    • Churches
  • Hub Library
  • Facilities
    • Halls & rooms
    • Accommodation
    • Food & drink
    • Shops & Others
    • Schools & Childcare
    • Defibrillator
  • Live issues
    • Planning & Local Plan news
    • Major Planning Sites
    • Climate & Green Action
  • News
  • Village
    • About Timsbury
    • Gallery
    • Village plan 2009
  • Contact
  • Timsbury Letter
  • History
  • Search Timsbury website

Sambornes of Timsbury

Last updated: 15/03/2026

RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

The first Samborne known to be of Timsbury was John, the eldest son of Nicholas Samborne of Mapledurham Oxfordshire. He was born in 1490. In 1542 he inherited from his mother’s cousin, Lady Mary Lisle, manors in Maiden Newton and Upper Sydling in Dorset as well as the manor of Timsbury in Somerset. Timsbury House is thought to have been built in late Elizabethan period, so it is likely John Samborne built the house.

Timsbury House
Timsbury House

The family tree below shows the descendents of John Samborne. The manor passed through the male line until Thomas Samborne (1687-1723) who died without an heir. At that time the manor passed to his sister Margaret. Margaret married Anthony Palmer of Ashwick in Somerset. From this point the family names are a combination of Samborne and Palmer.

The thirteenth Samborne who was lord of the manor, was John Stucley Palmer Samborne (1861-1952). The family left Timsbury House in 1938. During World War II it was used as an military establishment. After the war it was briefly a girls finishing school. The building was demolished in 1961.

You can find out more information about the Sambornes below:

Sambornes of Timsbury

Family Tree

Detail of Sambornes in Family Tree

RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

© 2026 Timsbury Parish Council, other than where separately stated ยท Site created by Picablue
Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content - see Terms & Conditions
To report problems with the website, contact the webmaster