• Skip to main content

Timsbury community website

Facilities, groups, parish council and business information for the village of Timsbury, near Bath

  • Home
  • Parish Council
    • About the Parish Council
    • Members & committees
    • Meetings
    • Policies & Procedures
    • Elections and Co-options
    • Finances
    • Communications
    • Activities & Responsibilities
    • Planning
  • Activities
    • Arts, drama & music
    • Children
    • Youth
    • Social
    • Events
    • Fitness, Health & Wellbeing
    • Sports & Games
    • Gardens, Food & Environment
      • Green Action Group
    • Walks
    • Churches
  • Hub Library
  • Facilities
    • Halls & rooms
    • Accommodation
    • Food & drink
    • Shops & Others
    • Schools & Childcare
    • Defibrillator
  • Live issues
    • Planning & Local Plan news
    • Major Planning Sites
    • Climate & Green Action
  • News
  • Village
    • About Timsbury
    • Gallery
    • Village plan 2009
  • Contact
  • Timsbury Letter
  • History
  • Search Timsbury website

Aspects of the history of the Christadelphian Chapel

Last updated: 10/03/2026

RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

As a result of Bible preaching efforts in the village in the 1920’s, five of the local inhabitants were baptised. They formed the nucleus of the Christadelphian Meeting. Their first breaking of the bread meeting was held at a private house, Belle Vue. However, by 1931 they had acquired the old Congregational Chapel built in 1825. Soon they were well established with a thriving Sunday School which held its first outing by charabanc to Weston-super-Mare in June 1931.

The first winter held its problems for the members with defects in a coke burning stove which poured back its smoke through walls and under the roof. Paraffin lamps also added to the problems, but soon this was overcome.

christadelphians

Some of the congregation of the Chapel outside the entrance on Maggs Hill

 In 1980 during re-roofing, the original thatch roof was discovered. At this time one of the original Sunday School scholars still assisted in running the Meeting.

In 2004 the Chapel was converted to a residential dwelling.

Reproduced from The Timsbury Book by kind permission of Timsbury Parish Council.

RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

© 2026 Timsbury Parish Council, other than where separately stated ยท Site created by Picablue
Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content - see Terms & Conditions
To report problems with the website, contact the webmaster