• Skip to main content

Timsbury community website

Facilities, groups, parish council and business information for the village of Timsbury, near Bath

  • Home
  • Parish Council
    • About the Parish Council
    • Members & committees
    • Meetings
    • Policies & Procedures
    • Elections and Co-options
    • Finances
    • Communications
    • Activities & Responsibilities
    • Planning
  • Activities
    • Arts, drama & music
    • Children
    • Youth
    • Social
    • Events
    • Fitness, Health & Wellbeing
    • Sports & Games
    • Gardens, Food & Environment
      • Green Action Group
    • Walks
    • Churches
  • Hub Library
  • Facilities
    • Halls & rooms
    • Accommodation
    • Food & drink
    • Shops & Others
    • Schools & Childcare
    • Defibrillator
  • Live issues
    • Planning & Local Plan news
    • Major Planning Sites
    • Climate & Green Action
  • News
  • Village
    • About Timsbury
    • Gallery
    • Village plan 2009
  • Contact
  • Timsbury Letter
  • History
  • Search Timsbury website

Coal Mining

Last updated: 21/03/2026

RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

Scroll through the photographs of Upper and Lower Conygre Pits. There were many other smaller and earlier pits found outside of the village. Select a photograph to see a larger version and to scroll through the other photographs. Depending on the resolution of individual photographs it may be possible to view a whole screen version.

Coal Mining

The first shaft at Upper Conygre Pit was sunk in 1791. It was at this pit that the largest lump of coal was raised - 25 cwt.Upper Conygre Pit
Coal minersCoal miners
Miner wearing the guss and crook. It was used mainly by child miners (carting boys) for over 350 years. It consisted of a guss (rope girdle around the waist) and a crook (hook passing between legs) to pull heavy coal carts through narrow seams.The guss and crook
The Timsbury Colliery Rescue Brigade was a trained team of miners active in the early 20th century, responsible for emergency response. Following the 1895 Timsbury Colliery explosion, the need for improved safety and rescue protocols became evident. The Coal Mines Act of 1911 made rescue provision mandatory.Timsbury Colliery Rescue Brigade
Timsbury coal wagonsTimsbury coal wagons
Horse driven Timsbury coal wagons at Upper Conygre Pit. The man in the bowler hat is Ruben Burrows.Timsbury coal wagons
Timsbury coal wagonsTimsbury coal wagons
Timsbury coal wagons at Twerton.Timsbury coal being transported to Bath.
Coalpit Crossroads in the 1920s. The crenellated chimney of Upper Conygre Colliery can be seen. It was designed that way to make it acceptable to the inhabitants of Timsbury House. The trees on the right of Upper Conygre Colliery were also grown to provide a screen for Timsbury House.Coalpit Crossroads
Another view of Coalpit Crossroads in the 1920s. The crenellated chimney of Upper Conygre Colliery can be seen. It was designed that way to make it acceptable to the inhabitants of Timsbury House. The trees on the right of Upper Conygre Colliery were also grown to provide a screen for Timsbury House.Coalpit Crossroads
This postcard was sent during the General Strike of 1926. It shows Timsbury miners who had worked in neighbouring pits since 1916, but now on strike, scavanging for coal on the derelict Upper Conygre spoil heap. Permission had been given by John Stucley Palmer of Timsbury House.Upper Conygre Pit
Derelict remains of Upper Conygre PitUpper Conygre Pit
Derelict remains of Upper Conygre PitUpper Conygre Pit
Derelict remains of Upper Conygre PitUpper Conygre Pit
Derelict remains of Upper Conygre PitUpper Conygre Pit
Derelict remains of Upper Conygre PitUpper Conygre Pit
Derelict remains of Upper Conygre PitUpper Conygre Pit
View of Miners Welfare Hall with Upper Conygre Pit batch in the background.Miners Welfare Hut
Aerial view of Timsbury, probably dates from 1950s. Remains of Upper Conygre Pit can be seen at crossroads on North Road.Aerial view of the north of Timsbury
Aerial photo towards Bloomfield showing the remains of Upper Conygre Pit.Aerial view of the north of Timsbury
Picture of the pithead where the trucks have been loaded into the cage ready to be lowered for filling.Lower Conygre Pit
Lower Conygre PitLower Conygre Pit
Lower Conygre PitLower Conygre Pit
Lower Conygre PitLower Conygre Pit
The chimney at Lower Conygre Pit being demolished probably in 1910.Lower Conygre Pit
1911 photo of the topping out ceremony of the new chimney stack at Lower Conygre Pit, with the new Lancashire boilers in position.Lower Conygre Pit
Lower Conygre Pit. This shows the brick chimney which replaced the previous stone one.Lower Conygre Pit
View of Lower Conygre Pit from the slope south of RadfordLower Conygre Pit
Lower Conygre PitLower Conygre Pit
This is an early picture showing full trucks being lowered down the tramway to the Somersetshire Coal Canal. The tramway was laid in 1855-6 but not brought into use until 1859. Notice the chain between the tracks which was used to control the speed of the trucks.Lower Conygre Pit
By the 1880s transporting the coal to the Somersetshire Coal Canal was not very efficient. In 1894 the owners of the pit decided to connect to a siding at Radford on the Great Western Railway. Construction of the sidings and incline began in 1898 and was completed and open in 1900. The incline remained in use until 1906.Lower Conygre Incline
The opening of the Miner's Memorial Garden in 1995. It was built to mark the centenary of the underground explosion at Upper Conygre pit in 1895, which claimed the lives of seven miners and four horses. The National Westminster Bank gave the land and the parish Council spent £8500 on the garden. Local builder Jock Crozier worked to a wheel design by villager Vivien Watts. Barry Sewell did the planting and a seat was donated by the Somerset and District Miners' Welfare Trust.Miner’s Memorial Garden
The opening of the Miner's Memorial Garden in 1995Miner’s Memorial Garden
RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

© 2026 Timsbury Parish Council, other than where separately stated · Site created by Picablue
Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content - see Terms & Conditions
To report problems with the website, contact the webmaster