• Skip to main content

Timsbury community website

Facilities, groups, parish council and business information for the village of Timsbury, near Bath

  • Home
  • Parish Council
    • About the Parish Council
    • Members & committees
    • Meetings
    • Policies & Procedures
    • Elections and Co-options
    • Finances
    • Communications
    • Activities & Responsibilities
    • Planning
  • Activities
    • Arts, drama & music
    • Children
    • Youth
    • Social
    • Events
    • Fitness, Health & Wellbeing
    • Sports & Games
    • Gardens, Food & Environment
      • Green Action Group
    • Walks
    • Churches
  • Hub Library
  • Facilities
    • Halls & rooms
    • Accommodation
    • Food & drink
    • Shops & Others
    • Schools & Childcare
    • Defibrillator
  • Live issues
    • Planning & Local Plan news
    • Major Planning Sites
    • Climate & Green Action
  • News
  • Village
    • About Timsbury
    • Gallery
    • Village plan 2009
  • Contact
  • Timsbury Letter
  • History
  • Search Timsbury website

People

Last updated: 15/03/2026

RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

Scroll through over 200 photographs to see those who lived and worked in Timsbury in the past. Select a photograph to see a larger version and to scroll through the other photographs. Depending on the resolution of individual photographs it may be possible to view a whole screen version.

A Women's Institute fashion show. Those parading left to right are Beatrice Dunster, Ivy Tucker, May Ashley, Gladys Smith, Daphne Jeffs and Winifred Watts.Women’s Institute fashion show
Women's Institute members on a visit to a flour mill in 1955. I believe the lady holding the card is Nelly Coombs, wife of Sonny Coombs. Her daughter-in-law, Doris (Dot) Coombs is behind at 11 o’clock, next to Winnie Watts, the tall lady.Women’s Institute visit to a flour mill
Women's Institute party in YMCA HallWomen’s Institute party in YMCA Hall
Women's Institute Carnival Float for a village fete in the 1950s. Left to right are: Andrew Pickford, Margaret Pickford, Kitty Hodder, Isobel Tucker, Ivy Tucker, unknown, Winifred Watts, Betty Bridges, Vera Tompkins and Peter Tompkins.Women’s Institute Carnival Float 1950s
Tucker's the butchers on Maggs Hill. The picture shows Wilfred Tucker (centre right) next to George Baker (centre left)Tucker’s the butchers on Maggs Hill
Timsbury Male Voice Quartet L-R Bill Fear (tenor), Bert Fricker (second tenor), Alec Tucker (baritone) and George Fear (bass). They were also known as The Singing Miners.Timsbury Male Voice Quartet
Alec TuckerAlec Tucker
Malcolm Tucker making the draw for a prize that was the result of fund raising for the Famine in Ethiopia Appeal. Janet Ford is holding the draw basket.Jantons on Maggs Hill
J W Coombs and Son cycle shop in North Road. L-R Sonny Coombs, unknown, Alec Tucker, Mrs Coombs, Percy Thatcher and Bill CoombsJ W Coombs and Son cycle shop in North Road
Sonny Coombs on his bike. There was a lot of local support for his riding and there would be a constant stream of inquirers at his cycle shop. He also enjoyed playing football and in later years was well known in old time dancing events where he and his wife Nelly were comperes.Sonny Coombs
Sonny Coombs was one of the most successful track cyclists in the West Country, in 1928 He won 31 prizes in 17 meetings, aged 42 and in 1939 he won the Somerset County Championship 5 mile race. He also held the record for the fastest time from Bath to London and that record stood for many years. He lived on North Road where he ran a cycling shop - J W Coombs & Son. The person on the right is is his trainer Bill Fear.Sonny Coombs and cycling prizes
Bill Coombs, seated on ground on the left, at Timsbury Primary School on South Road.Bill Coombs at Timsbury National School in South Road
Sonny Coombs, his wife Nelly and son Bill with the Topsham Open Five Mile Trophy, which he won three times to make it is own. It was over two feet high.Sonny Coombs, his wife Nelly and son Bill
Sonny Coombs at work on the site of the future Sunnyview. His son Bill and wife Nelly are watching.Sonny Coombs at work
Sonny Coombs and his cycling prizes. He was born in 1886 and won his first medal in 1909. His trainer Bill Fear is on the left.Sonny Coombs
Nelly Coombs at Christmas 1978, aged 87.Nelly Coombs
Enjoying home-made chips in Winnie Watt's front garden in North Road between Croft Cottage and Choice Hair - Rodney Watts, Alan Brimble, John Coombs, unidentified and unidentifed (L-R)Rodney Watts, Alan Brimble and John Coombs in North Road
Bill Coombs at work at the garage on North Road in 1933/4.Bill Coombs
The addition of a large lean-to extension on the left hand side of Sonny Coombs' shop. Nelly Coombs and her son Bill standing outside the extension with hand operated pumps.North Road
Bill Coombs, Harry Fear, Stuart Holbrook and Maurice Moon (L-R) on North Road with the Congregational Chapel behind. The photo was probably taken in 1933 or 1934.Bill Coombs, Harry Fear, Stuart Holbrook and Maurice Moon
Bill Coombs and Doris Dix wedding in 1935.Bill Coombs and Doris Dix wedding in 1935.
Winnie Watts, Ivy Tucker, Iris Russell, Gladys Smith and Doris (Dot) Coombs (L-R) in North Road for the Timsbury Carnival in early 1950s.On North Road for the Timsbury Carnival
John and Jackie Coombs with their parents Bill and Doris (Dot)John and Jackie Coombs with their parents Bill and Doris (Dot)
John Coombs as a pirate for Timsbury Carnival in the early 1950s. He is standiing outside Sunnyview in North Road.John Coombs as a pirate
Elizabeth Hodder was a prominent member of Timsbury life during the late 19th and early 20th century. She was a hard worker for the South Road Methodist Chapel where she was secretary of the choir and Sunday School. She was also leader of the Band of Hope and Ladies Society Class and served on the committee of the Nursing Association and local school. She was a leading member of the International Order of Government Templars and regularly attended their Grand Lodge.Elizabeth Hodder
Elizabeth Hodder (nee Fear) outside Mendip View, which she established as a newspaper and confectionary shop in 1888. It remained in her family’s possession until 1970, when her grandson, Clifford Hodder retired to end his involvement.Elizabeth Hodder outside Mendip View on South Road
Elizabeth Hodder's husband, George, with grandson Edwin in fields below South Road.George Hodder with grandson Edwin
Somersetshire Coal Canal near Radford about 1905. The woman in the picture is Elizabeth Hodder. She used to commission and sell photographs of Timsbury in her shop on South Road. She was in many of the snapshots of the village, together with her dog.Elizabeth Hodder posing for photograph on Somersetshire Coal Canal
Somersetshire Coal Canal near Radford about 1905. The woman in the picture is Elizabeth Hodder, who ran a shop at Mendip View on South Road.Elizabeth Hodder posing for photograph on Somersetshire Coal Canal
An early picture from about 1907 of the Hodder family in their pony and trap outside the newsagent. Cadbury's Chocolate is advertised on the shop window. The pony and trap was used to collect newpapers from Hallatrow Station. The pony and trap were kept in Revival, to the right of where Canine Craze is now.Hodder family in their pony and trap outside their shop on South Road
Hodder's pony and trap in South Road outside their shop.Hodder family in their pony and trap outside their shop on South Road
Amelia (Millie) Vernum Hodder. After Elizabeth Hodder's death in 1935, the business was carried on by her daughter Amelia, who was an agent for the Somerset Guardian for nearly 30 years. She never married and on her death in 1951 the business passed to her nephew, Clifford Hodder, who was living in London at the time.Millie Hodder
Amelia (Millie) Vernum Hodder.Millie Hodder
Cliff Hodder, who had come from London after the death of his aunt Millie in 1952 to carry on the family newsagent’s business in South Road (later Supreme Hair Studio).Cliff Hodder behind the counter in the shop in South Road
Cliff Hodder with sister Gladys outside the shop in South Road, which had moved from Mendip View.Cliff Hodder with sister Gladys outside the shop in South Road
Cliff and Kitty Hodder at the shop in South Road. After retiring in 1970, Cliff and Kitty moved to Greenvale where they remained until their deathsCliff and Kitty Hodder outside the shop in South Road
Newspaper report of Edric Hodder who died in a blaze at Lime Kiln Cottage in 1970.Lime Kiln Cottage blaze in 1970
John and Sarah Ford (nee Hodder). They lived in Bartholmew Row in 1891 and later in Timsbury Bottom. He was a hewer in local coal mines. John's grand son George Hasell Ford started the Ford Fuel Oil company.John and Sarah Ford (nee Hodder)
Ford Fuels started life as G H Ford & Sons shortly before the Second World War. George Ford borrowed £25 to invest in a horse and cart to begin supplying milk and coal to the villages surrounding Timsbury, near Bath.George Ford
This photograph was taken in the 1930s and is of Albert Ernest Moxham, blacksmith and his son Jake, outside the Forge in Church Lane.Albert Ernest Moxham and his son Jake in Church Lane
Ernest Moxham with Jake Pickford (left) working in the forge.Ernest Moxham with Jake Pickford (left) working in the forge.
Ernest Moxham often used his car as a taxi and was available for hire.Ernest Moxham
Mrs Ada Moxham and Mrs Bird, children's nurses for the Samborne family. Ernest Moxham’s wife Ada had come to the village from London as a nanny for the Sambornes, in Timsbury House.Mrs Moxham and Mrs Bird, children’s nurses, at Timsbury House
Joe Holbrook from Home Farm outside the forge with his favourite horse Maud. The young lady is Rhona Moxham, Ernest's daughter. The Pratts sign on the wall indicates that petrol was sold at the forge.Joe Holbrook and Rhona Moxham, Ernest in Church Lane
Jake Moxham in his toy Vauxhall car outside the forge.Jake Moxham in his toy Vauxhall car in Church Lane
The horse, with two of his children, Rhona and Jake, is being held by Ernest Moxham outside the Forge in Church Lane.Ernest Moxham with his children, Rhona and Jake, in Church Lane
Ernest Moxham holding his son, Jake. Also in the picture are six other children. Standing just in front to his left are sisters Ivy & Violet Ware. They look to be in their teens; they are wearing berets & jackets. In the front of the picture are two boys, Billy and Ronald Ware. They are both wearing what looks to be school uniforms, long socks, lace up shoes, shorts and jumpers with ties and caps on their heads. They look about 7 and 6 years old. Next to Ronald is Rhona Moxham, in a dress and holding a hat, she looks about 7years old. Lastly is her sister Brenda about 5 years old wearing a skirt and jumper. She has very curly hair.The Moxham family
Two young boys on Church Hill. The one on the right is Jake Moxham son of the village blacksmith who worked himself at the forge in Church Lane. He was the brother of Rhona Moxham. The one on the left is Dennis Bush who became landlord of the Seven Stars.Jake Moxham and Dennis Bush on Church Hill.
Three youngsters watching a traction engine working in Greenvale in the 1930s. The field was owned by the Moxham family.Three youngsters watching a traction engine working in Greenvale
Jake Moxham who was an engineer.Jake_Moxham
This instrument is used to pull animal teeth, but Ernest Moxham, the blacksmith, did use it to pull teeth of some people in the village - he used to sit them on the anvil - no anaesthetic! The instrument looks somewhat like a corkscrew, but has a curved arm which presumably fitted around the tooth.Ernest Moxham’s tooth extractor
Rhona Moxham with her grandfather's tooth extractorRhona Moxham with her grandfather’s tooth extractor
Vera Dando, Ivy Moxham, Winnie Bush, Freda Sage, Maria Dando and Lily Bush (L-R) . Photo taken in 1913 by Rev. Meade-King.Vera Dando, Ivy Moxham, Winnie Bush, Freda Sage, Maria Dando and Lily Bush
The Welsh Guards were stationed in Timsbury in 1940. Here standing outside the New Inn (the Guss and Crook).The Welsh Guards in 1940
Mr Bridges' shop in Rectory Lane. He sold a variety of shoes from elegant ladies' shoes to pit boots, and made the pit boots himself. The boots were made of thick 'split' leather guaranteed to last a year. To have them repaired would cost 3/9d. Mr Bridges Snr used tools supplied by Mr Moxham, the blacksmith. Poorer people would come in just for a cut-out sole and heel so that they could do home repairs. Wilf Bridges, his son, started at 14 and didn't know all the tricks of the trade, so George Dando would come and help the 'youn un' if he had any problems. Later Wilf Bridges took over the business.Mr Bridges’ shop in Rectory Lane.
Dolly Holbrook standing in the doorway of Oakhill House. Oakhill House used to be an off-licence for the Oakhill Brewery, taken over by Bristol United Breweries, which was part of Courages. Joseph Holbrook lived in Oakhill House and, in 1901, was described as a cattle dealer and beer retailer. He was still operating as a beer retailer in 1935. The off-licence closed during World War II. Dolly also sold milk, bananas and eggs.Dolly Holbrook standing in the doorway of Oakhill House on Maggs Hill
George and Arthur Holbrook's Drapers and Grocery Store on Maggs Hill. The small shop further up Maggs Hill on the left was a bread and cake shop. This picture was taken in the early 1900s.Holbrook’s Drapers and Grocery Store on Maggs Hill
Holbrook's Drapers and Grocery Store on Maggs HillHolbrook’s Drapers and Grocery Store on Maggs Hill
Minnie Holbrook in South RoadMinnie Holbrook in South Road
Robert Pullen, who came to Timsbury School as headmaster in 1940, teaching his favourite subject, 'Bees', on which he was an acknowledged expert. The picture, taken in 1946, shows pupils (left to right) Janet Holbrook (Meadgate), Jill Robbins, Monica Purnell, Barbara Bridges, Hazel Curtis and Rita CottleRobert Pullen and pupils at Timsbury County Secondary School
Timsbury Male Voice Choir's visit to Bath 1924Timsbury Male Voice Choir’s visit to Bath 1924
Timsbury Male Voice ChoirTimsbury Male Voice Choir
Eisteddfod Choir of Timsbury County Secondary SchoolEisteddfod Choir of Timsbury County Secondary School
Kate Perrett presiding at the dinner of the Timsbury Male Voice Choir at Christmas 1960. Kate's grand-daughter Barbara is on her right and Teddy Carter of paulton on her left.Kate Perrett December 1960
Timsbury Male Voice Choir 1983Timsbury Male Voice Choir 1983
Timsbury Male Voice Choir 1949Timsbury Male Voice Choir 1949
Timsbury Ladies' Choir 20th Anniversary Celebrations in 1998Timsbury Ladies’ Choir
Timsbury Ladies' Choir 20th Anniversary Celebrations in 1998Timsbury Ladies’ Choir 1998
Timsbury Male Voice Choir annual dinner about 1950Timsbury Male Voice Choir
Members and guest of Timsbury Male Voice Choir at their annual supper and social at Marksbury Village Hall in 1966.Timsbry Male Voice Choir
Timsbury Male Voice Choir on a visit to Bath in 1924Timsbury Male Voice Choir
The Workers Educational Association had its own drama group which pre-dated the Timsbury Theatre Group. This is a production from the 1930s.Workers Educational Association
Timsbury Theatre Group and Workers Educational Association joint production of Blythe Spirit.Timsbury Theatre Group
Timsbury Theatre Group was formed in 1973.Timsbury Theatre Group
Timsbury Theatre Group was formed in 1973 and this was a production of Aladdin from the late 1970sTimsbury Theatre Group
The Timsbury Rifle Club was formed on 24 April 1902 at a meeting at the National School. It was affiliated to the National Rifle Association. A range was opened on 29 November 1902, but so far the precise location in Timsbury is not known, though a newspaper report indicated that land was provided at Lower Congre by the Timsbury Colliery Company at a nominal rent. Competitions took place between several local villages. It has not been possible to determine when the club closed.Timsbury Rifle Club
South Road Methodist Chapel Young Wives meeting in the early 1960sSouth Road Methodist Chapel Young Wives meeting
South Road Methodist ChapelSouth Road Methodist Chapel
Timsbury Art Group during a meeting at Tabor ChurchTimsbury Art Group
Sweet stall at Methodist Church fete in the 1930sSweet stall at South Road Methodist Church fete
Wesleyan Methodist Preachers 1873South Road Methodist Chapel
Cliff Dunster (left) and Howard Newth (right) worked tirelessly to preserve footpaths within Timsbury Parish and the surrounding area from 1981Cliff Dunster and Howard Newth
Timsbury carnival procession children's fancy dress in 1959. Picture taken on the Recreation Field.Timsbury Carnival Procession 1959
Evacuees from East End of London in 1940 at a tea party at Mrs Perrett's house on North Road.Evacuees from East End of London in 1940
Susan Chilcott was born 8 July 1963. Her adopted parents were Merv(yn) and Margaret Chilcott. Merv was a farm labourer, along with his friend Cy(rus) at White’s Tabor Farm. Susan was an English soprano, considered one of the best of her generation. At the age of 12 years she was talent spotted by Mollie Petrie. She attended the Guildhall School of Music, London, and later sang with Scottish Opera: then at Glynebourne and lastly with the Welsh National Opera. She died on 4th Sept 2003 of breast cancer. She lived at one time at Radford.Susan Chillcott
Sidney Sims, who ran the hairdresser shop in the Square, was involved in a motorcycle accident and had a leg removed. He also sold sweets and cigarettes. Miners from Camerton and other pits often used to visit the shop to sit in front of the coal fire. The shop was a meeting place on Saturday evenings. The Pink 'un and Green 'un were delivered to the shop. These were papers delivered from Bristol which contained the football results. Men would check their 'pools' results. Sidney kept the shop open until 9pm.Sidney Sims
Timsbury Auxiilary Fire Brigade in 1942Timsbury Auxiilary Fire Brigade
Alfred Ashley in Geoffrey Curtis' house at Bloomfield after the fire in his house.Alfred Ashley
Arthur (Fred) Sims, Coal Haulier, Trap and Car Hirer, with his wife Hilda (nee Fricker, aunt of John Fricker) and son Ron outside their home at South View 1940sArthur (Fred), Hilda and Ron Sims at South View in the 1940s
Florence Hembury, photographed in Lansdown View, was district nurse for the village until 1939.Florence Hembury (Sims)
Martyn Jeffs, postmaster in the High Street for many years.Martyn Jeffs
Back Row L-R: Frank Lodge, Sid Jefferies, Ron Elliott and Jim Elliott. Front Row: Howard Elliott, Les Edgell, Don ElliottFrank Lodge, Sid Jefferies, Ron Elliott, Jim Elliott, Howard Elliott, Les Edgell and Don Elliott
Clifford Ruddock, Chair of the Parish Council 1925-37 and 1938-53Clifford Ruddock
Arthur Moon, Chair of the Parish Council 1970-1992.Arthur Moon
Bernard Cayzer laying the foundation stone of the Conygre Hall in 1973. Left to right are L Brewer (Chairman of the Development Committee), J Crozier (who designed and built the Hall) and Arthur Moon (Chair of the Parish Council). In the background is the old Miners' Welfare Hut.Bernard Cayzer, L Brewer, J Crozier and Arthur Moon at the Conygre Hall in 1973
Shilling Moon with his fatherShilling Moon with his father
Abbott's Baker Shop at the bottom of Maggs Hill with the delivery van. Shown from left to right are Mrs Abbott, S Fry, Colin Abbott, Shilling Moon (front) and A Abbott.Mrs Abbott, S Fry, Colin Abbott, Shilling Moon and A Abbott at Abbott’s Baker’s Shop on Maggs Hill
Arthur Shilling MoonArthur Shilling Moon
The Black Dog Darts Team. The Black Dog was another name name for the Rising Sun in old Bloomfield.The Black Dog Darts Team at the Rising Sun in Bloomfield
Austin and Martha Fear (nee Tidy) outside their cottage at Bloomfield.Austin and Martha Fear (nee Tidy)
Doris and Percy Dart in the New InnDoris and Percy Dart in the New Inn
Bert Nash delivering milk in Newmans LaneBert Nash delivering milk in Newmans Lane
This photo was taken at Lynch and shows Albert White of Tabor Farm hand milking cows.Farming in the 1930s
William Brudenell-Barter Rector of St Mary's Church 1783-1825William Brudenell-Barter Rector of St Mary’s Church 1783-1825
Charles Trelawney-Collins Rector of St Mary's Church 1825-41Charles Trelawney-Collins Rector of St Mary’s Church 1825-41
Richard Hill Rector of St Mary's Church 1841-1883Richard Hill Rector of St Mary’s Church 1841-1883
Leigh Thomas Rendell Rector of St Mary's Church 1884-1903Leigh Thomas Rendell Rector of St Mary’s Church 1884-1903
William Yorke Fausset Rector of St Mary's Church 1903-10William Yorke Fausset Rector of St Mary’s Church 1903-10
Charles Ruddock Mead-King Rector of St Mary's Church 1910-1934Charles Ruddock Mead-King Rector of St Mary’s Church 1910-1934
Charles Ruddock Mead-King Rector of St Mary's Church 1910-1934Charles Ruddock Mead-King Rector of St Mary’s Church 1910-1934
Joseph Claude Rose Rector of St Mary's Church 1934-1956Joseph Claude Rose Rector of St Mary’s Church 1934-1956
This is a photograph of four successive rectors of St Mary's Church. From left to right are Rev. William Yorke Fausset (1903-10), Rev. Charles Ruddock Mead-King (1910-1934), Rev. Leigh Thomas Rendell (1884-1903) and Rev. Joseph Claude Rose Rector (1934-1956).St Mary’s Church
Hugh Vipond Davies Rector of St Mary's Church 1956-1976Hugh Vipond Davies Rector of St Mary’s Church 1956-1976
Peter Robson Rector of St Mary's Church 1976-1980Peter Robson Rector of St Mary’s Church 1976-1980
Clifford Jones Rector of St Mary's Church 1980-1986Clifford Jones Rector of St Mary’s Church 1980-1986
John Reed Rector of St Marys Church 1986-1994John Reed Rector of St Marys Church 1986-1994
Chris Brown Rector of St Mary's Church 1994 - 2001Chris Brown Rector of St Mary’s Church 1994 – 2001
Chris Hare Rector of St Mary's Church 2001-2012Chris Hare Rector of St Mary’s Church 2001-2012
Street party in Rectory Lane on VE Day in 1945.Street party in Rectory Lane on VE Day in 1945.
Timsbury Mothers Union from the early 1930s.Mothers Union 1930s
Tabor Chapel Sunday SchoolTabor Chapel Sunday School
This photo was taken in 1914 in the field behind Tabor Farm showing (L-R) Albert White, Nelson White and Ern Fricker. The horses were Blazer and Polly.Albert White, Nelson White and Ern Fricker in 1914
Doris Gladys Helps (nee Gregory) with her father Ernest Gregory at her wedding at The Tabor Chapel in 1950. The reception was held at Kingwell Hall.Doris Gladys Gregory with her father Ernest
Tabor ChapelTabor Chapel
Tabor ChapelTabor Chapel
Tabor ChapelTabor Chapel
Tabor ChapelTabor Chapel
Tabor ChapelTabor Chapel
Gilbert Hasel and Hilda WaringGilbert Hasel and Hilda Waring
Taste of Timsbury awardTaste of Timsbury award
The British Legion celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1972. The Queen marked the occasion by awarding the prefix Royal. Legion certificates for valuable service were presented. Back row (L-R) Joe Warner, Bill Ashton, Reg Sage, Ralph Coombes. Front row (L_R) Gordan Jarrett, Dr Crook, Bert Matthews, Fred Sperring.The British Legion 1972
Timsbury war memorialTimsbury war memorial
Members of the British Legion outside the original Legion building in South Road.Members of the British Legion
British Legion Officials and Committee in the 1950s.British Legion Officials
Timsbury Women's British Legion Section at the opening of the present Legion Hall which had previously been the Church Hall.British Legion
Charles Heal's garage on the corner of Pitfour Terrace in the High StreetCharles Heal’s garage on the corner of Pitfour Terrace in the High Street
Pictured left to right are Alec Clark, Mr Fowler, Bill Hasell and Charles Heal. It was in operation in the 1920s and 1930s.Charles Heal’s garage on the corner of Pitfour Terrace in the High Street
Fred Mullins, with suit and cap, pictured with Albert Humphries and his sons.Fred Mullins, with suit and cap, pictured with Albert Humphries and his sons.
Church Farm in the High Street which used to be Humphrey's the butchers. A view of the butcher's shop with meat seen hanging outside. This was a usual occurrence.Humphrey’s the butchers in the High Street
Church Farm in the High StreetChurch Farm in the High Street
Dorothy Haywood and Gwen Humphies on the tennis court at Hillside House where Mrs Kemp ran a club for girls.Dorothy Haywood and Gwen Humphies on the tennis court at Hillside House
Tennis at Hillside HouseTennis at Hillside House
Member of the Pain family that lived at HookMember of the Pain family that lived at Hook
Florence Wilkins (in hat with flower on dress)Florence Wilkins (in hat with flower on dress)
A day tripA day trip
A sunday morning pit visitA sunday morning pit visit
Dr Crook came to Timsbury in early 1933 and was the village GP until1972. This picture was probably taken in the late1950s. He was also member of the Mendip Cave Rescue Team, carried out his own post mortems at Radstock mortuary, operated at Paulton Hospital on Tuesday and Thursdays after surgery and also played chess on Tuesday evenings when the village had a chess club. He died in 1973.Dr Bertram Austin Crook
The Band of Hope was first proposed in 1847 by Rev. Jabez Tunnicliff, who was a Baptist minister in Leeds. Its objective was to teach children the importance and principles of sobriety and teetotalism. In 1855, a national organisation was formed. The Timsbury Band of Hope was attached to the Wesleyan Church on South Road. Regular musical services were held in the Temperance Hall and the chapel on South Road.The Band of Hope
Timsbury Salvation Army Band outside Upper Conygre PitTimsbury Salvation Army Band
Garden Fete for Mendip Moral Welfare Association 25 May 1965Garden Fete for Mendip Moral Welfare Association
Timsbury Fete 1909Timsbury Fete 1909
Mrs Cox's (former postmistress) retirement in July 1947 at Timsbury Post Office when presentations were made to Mrs Cox (seated) after 30 years service as postmistress and Miss E Young (third from left standing) who was leaving after 10 years service.Mrs Cox’s (former postmistress) retirement
William Beacham outside Pitfour House in 1940William Beacham outside Pitfour House in 1940
Tom Evans, who served 45 years as the village postman, at his house in The Avenue in 1911.Tom Evans at his house in the Avenue
District Nurse Sister EvansDistrict Nurse Sister Evans
District Nurses 1950s - Nurse Evans (left) and Nurse Pethick (right)District Nurses 1950s
Ronald GregoryRonald Gregory
Ronald GregoryRonald Gregory
Laurence Berry and Doris Gregory at 2 Foundry CottagesLaurence Berry and Doris Gregory
Gregory familyGregory family
Gregorys of BloomfieldGregorys of Bloomfield
Bernard NewthBernard Newth
Haymaking in the 1930s in the field that is now the Greenvale estate.Haymaking in Greenvale in the 1930s
A celebrationA celebration
Oliver JanesOliver Janes
Female members of the Janes Family.Female members of the Janes Family.
Male members of the Janes family. L-R back row Oliver Janes, Ernest Janes, Herbert Janes. L-R front row William Janes, Joseph Janes, George Janes.Male members of the Janes family
Timsbury Male Voice ChoirTimsbury Male Voice Choir
A big village meal.A big village meal.
This is Mr Brown in his 1922 Rover 8 hp outside his house at Church Hill in 1924. Mr. Brown was a collector of water rates for Clutton District Council.Mr Brown
Unknown event and location, but many Timsbury residents present.Unknown event and location, but many Timsbury residents present.
Percy Hatherall, who was killed on HMS Prince of Wales, with Edwin Kite of BloomfieldPercy Hatherall and Edwin Kite
Job Gould was a barber in North Road for over 30 years.Job Gould
Mary Gould, the wife of Job Gould, barber in North Road.Mary Gould
In the 1950s, boxing in Timsbury was at its peak and in Cliff Purnell the village found a heavyweight who eventually reached the top ten in the country. Cliff was a product of the numerous tournaments originally held at a boxing ring above the stables between the Smithery and Forge House, in Church Lane. He trained at gyms in Hobbs Wall, Farmborough, and South Road, Timsbury, with his trainer Bill Miles. Nicknamed the "Bath Bombshell", Cliff went on to win 20 professional bouts which included 11 knockouts, with fights against Henry Cooper and Joe Erskine. He died in 2011.Cliff Purnell
Cliff Purnell, heavyweight professional boxer 1951-1964, known as the Bath BombshellCliff Purnell
Like many others at Timsbury Boxing Club Cliff’s progress owed much to trainer Bill Miles.Bill Miles
Eddie Strong, international athlete from TimsburyEddie Strong
Henry Cecil Rhodes was a one-mile champion, and lived in Lansdown Crescent, Timsbury. He took part in trials for the 1920 Summer Olympics. He used to race the horse dray between Bath and Timsbury, and he nearly always won. He played for Timsbury Athletic Football Team, becoming the trainer for many years.Henry Rhodes
Timsbury Auxiliary Fire Brigade in 1942. L-R Fred Box, Joe Rhodes, Bill Miles, Ivan Millgrove, Jack Risden, Wilf Kite (hidden), Frank Kite, Jack Fisher and Bobby Thatcher.Timsbury Auxiliary Fire Brigade
Findlater Crang 1809 - 1892. He was a surgeon who lived in Pitfour House.Findlater Crang
James Crang. The Crang family lived in Pitfour House.James Crang
Dr Crang and other male members of the Crang family at Pitfour House.Crang family at Pitfour House in the High Street
Dr John James Gunning Crang 1854-1897John James Gunning Crang
Annie Louisa Maud Crang in 1901.Annie Louisa Maud Crang
Annie Louisa Maud Crang in 1908.Maude Crang
Mr Abbotts Class 1973-4Mr Abbotts Class 1973-4
Wedding of John and Win Greening in 1949Wedding of John and Win Greening in 1949
The Seven Stars has existed as a pub for many years. The building is described as a house and garden in 1784, owned by Thomas Flower. By 1840 it is owned by Jacob Flower and is described as House, Beerhouse, Garden and Premises. The pub was owned by the Welton Brewery in the 19th century. On 4 January 1919 the Bristol Brewery (George's) acquired the pub. This photo shows Mavis and and Dennis Bush outside the Seven Stars. Their parents ran the pub from 1935 and 1961. After Stanley Bush died, Dennis carried on running the pub for another 18 months.Mavis and and Dennis Bush outside the Seven Stars, in North Road
This is Mr Carr standing beside one of Collins' lorries. The Collins family were millers, brewers and tanners at Radford.Mr Carr standing beside one of Collins’ lorries at Radford
Bill Bird who was a miner, lived in the Tanyard in Mill Lane in Radford.Bill Bird
John and Ellen Peak at Homeland, Tyning.John and Ellen Peak
Women's Land ArmyWomen’s Land Army
Roland Pickford, Chair of the Parish Council 1953-70Roland Pickford
St Mary's Primary School football team with Nick Furzland and Malcolm TuckerSt Mary’s Primary School football team with Nick Furzland and Malcolm Tucker
The earliest reference to the Meadgate Inn is in the 1851 Census when Edward Clark is identified as the publican. At the beginning of the 20th century John Elliott was the land lord. You can just make out his name above the door in the photo.Meadgate Inn
Bonfire built on the Sleight to celebrate the Relief of Mafeking (Boer War) in 1900.Bonfire built on the Sleight
Enoch Bowdich was a market gardener in Timsbury BottomEnoch Bowdich
Bernard Cayzer at Parish's HouseBernard Cayzer at Parish’s House
Major Bernard Cayzer opening cricket club houseTimsbury Cricket Club
967 was a big year for the Deputy Head at Timsbury Secondary Modern School, Mr. Wyn Davies. He received an M.B.E. in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List for his work with the North Somerset Youth Arts Society which he helped to found in 1962. Mr. Davies had joined the school as music master in 1952 and in his younger days had sung his way to success in the Welsh National Eisteddfod for four years in a row.H Wyn Davies
Eric Brimble, Clerk to the Parish Council 1955-9Eric Brimble
Timsbury actor Alan Moore who was a former pupil at Norton Hill School who starred as Dr. Jim Fletcher in the BBC TV series Owen MD. Alan joined Bristol Old Vic when he was 25 and was later to play the part of builder Maurice Jones in Coronation Street.Alan Moore
Patrick Moore visiting Timsbury in 1988.Patrick Moore visiting Timsbury in 1988.
Commander Barnaby (or Peter) Samborne, first Captain of the Royal Navy's nuclear submarine DreadnoughtBarnaby Samborne
Captain Barnaby (or Peter) Samborne aboard DreadnoughtCaptain Peter Samborne aboard Dreadnought
Clarence ParfittClarence Parfitt
Ted Cottle who worked at Radford Flour Mill.Ted Cottle
Two beekeepers in garden. The man on the left with cap, glasses and pipe, is holding honey comb frame covered in bees. The woman on the right is holding metal smoke gun.Two beekeepers in garden
Fourth Officer P Butcher showed students from Timsbury County Secondary School round the s.s. Somerset. The school had adopted the boat.Fourth Officer P Butcher showed students from Timsbury County Secondary School round the s.s. Somerset.
Brothers Stan and Dennis Sage with Ken Tiley in Cairo, EgyptBrothers Stan and Dennis Sage with Ken Tiley in Cairo, Egypt
This picture of the Bush family was taken in 1941 inside the Seven StarsThis picture of the Bush family was taken in 1941 inside the Seven Stars
Richard Thompson and Brad Wyatt outside the old building. Brad worked at the garage for 34 years.Richard Thompson and Brad Wyatt
Pat Smythe at The Timsbury Horse Show.Pat Smythe
Actor Bob Arnold, who played Tom Forrest in The Archers for nearly 50 years, attended the Timsbury Horse Show on September 19th 1959.Actor Bob Arnold, who played Tom Forrest in The Archers
Timsbury Horse ShowTimsbury Horse Show
Sally Gardiner on Peter PoppinsTimsbury Horse Show
Timsbury Horse ShowTimsbury Horse Show
The opening of the Miner's Memorial Garden in 1995. It was built to mark the centenary of the underground explosion at Upper Conygre pit in 1895, which claimed the lives of seven miners and four horses. The National Westminster Bank gave the land and the parish Council spent £8500 on the garden. Local builder Jock Crozier worked to a wheel design by villager Vivien Watts. Barry Sewell did the planting and a seat was donated by the Somerset and District Miners' Welfare Trust.Miner’s Memorial Garden
Timsbury Theatre Group - Daphne Jeffs and Rita Woolley at rehearsals of Fool’s Paradise in 1986Daphne Jeffs and Rita Woolley at rehearsals of Fool’s Paradise
Timsbury Theatre Group - Margaret Robinson, Michael Allen and Sheila Allen in a scene from Fool’s Paradise in 1986.Margaret Robinson, Michael Allen and Sheila Allen in a scene from Fool’s Paradise
Timsbury Theatre Group with the rose bowl they won with their production of Breath of Spring in the competition run by the Bristol Evening Post in 1984.Timsbury Theatre Group’s production of Breath of Spring
Timsbury Theatre GroupTimsbury Theatre Group
1983 became known as the year of the helicopter. Brian Rose, the most successful captain in Somerset’s history, had a well-deserved testimonial on 24th May. Preparations for the match were severely hampered by some of the worst early season weather on record; the entire wicket was water-logged. Chairman Eric Nott remarked that perhaps the club should hire a helicopter to dry out the pitch; with the backing of sponsors Bath Toyota, the idea took flight, and what a publicity coup it was! Timsbury CC entered cricket’s history books as the first club in Britain to use a helicopter to dry out the pitch.Timsbury Cricket Club
Geoffrey Dagger and Gladys Smith planting a tree at the Conygre Hall to commemorate the Silver Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 1977.Geoffrey Dagger and Gladys Smith
Sarah Baker with son James.Sarah Baker with son James
Reg Ingle was captain of Somerset County Cricket Club. He moved to Timsbury and was involved in many community organisationsReg Ingle
St John Ambulance BrigadeSt John Ambulance Brigade
Early in 1916 a petition was signed by between 200 and 300 members of the Radstock Co-operative Society asking for a branch to be established in Timsbury. The proposal was supported by the committee and on August 12 the new branch was formally opened by its President Rev. G.A. Ramsay. The new building was said to be of a good substantial structure with the ground floor fitted up as general grocery department and the first floor being used for drapery, clothing, furnishing, hardware and tobacco. The Paulton Prize Brass Band played in front of the new branch premises and a marquee was set up in a field nearby where several hundred people enjoyed a grand tea followed by a public meeting.Opening of the Co-op on North Road in 1916
Fred Sims - Clerk Timsbury Parish CouncilFred Sims – Clerk Timsbury Parish Council
This picture shows the prefabs in what is now Greenvale Drive with St John's Road running off to the right. The children are Brian and Jennifer Robinson in 1955Brian and Jennifer Robinson in Greenvale in 1955
Albert Lewis who succeeded Albert Arnold as Headteacher at the Old school on South Road.Albert Lewis who succeeded Albert Arnold as Headteacher of Timsbury National School
Albert Arnold, Headteacher 1888-1924Albert Arnold, Headteacher 1888-1924
Mrs Greenland, who was senior mistress when the senior school moved from South Road to Lansdown View.Mrs Greenland
Mrs Greenland, who was senior mistress when the senior school moved from South Road to Lansdown View.Mrs Greenland of Timsbury National School in South Road
A photograph taken outside Pitfour House of a wedding reception in 1926. The bride Annie Flower and the groom Reginald Purnell are sitting in the front row surrounded by their guests from South Road Methodist Chapel.Annie Flower and Reginald Purnell’s wedding reception in 1926.
Alfred Humphreys who ran the butcher's shop at Church Farm in the High Street. He is second from the right with some friends at the Seven Starsp92
Outside Tabor Farm with Alfred Henry Short second left.Alfred Henry Short in North Road
Ernest Moxham is kneeling on the rightFarming scene
Children beside a hay baleChildren beside a hay bale
This is almost certainly a football club dinner. The man at the bottom with semi-bald head facing right is Ted King from Farmborough. He was a Bristol junior school headmaster, played for Bristol City as an amateur, captained Somerset 50 times, sometime Manager, later, President of the English Schools Football Association. He was a well versed at doing the toasts for such functions and kept a book of when and which stories he had told to various clubs. Facing him on the opposite table are Bill and Doris Coombs.Football Club Dinner
Workers at Wheelers Yard in 1948Workers at Wheelers Yard in 1948
Workers at Wheelers YardWorkers at Wheelers Yard
Workers at Wheelers YardWorkers at Wheelers Yard
Pony and trap on South RoadPony and trap on South Road
Austin Parsons at Priors Cottage, Timsbury.Austin Parsons on Priors Hill
The Timsbury Colliery Rescue Brigade was a trained team of miners active in the early 20th century, responsible for emergency response. Following the 1895 Timsbury Colliery explosion, the need for improved safety and rescue protocols became evident. The Coal Mines Act of 1911 made rescue provision mandatory.Timsbury Colliery Rescue Brigade
Timsbury Parish CouncilTimsbury Parish Council
Wilf and Bert Bridges at the Tabor Church.Wilf and Bert Bridges
Born Peter Frederick Wedlock on 23 May 1942 to a famous footballing family, Fred was raised in his parents pub in Bristol. He started singing at the age of 4 as singing eased his childhood asthma, joining school and church choirs when older. At the University of Swansea he acquired his first banjo and guitar, later joining the Bristol folk scene. Originally a youth employment officer and then a teacher in Bristol, Fred played many gigs at pubs and around. His greatest fame came with the hit song ‘Oldest Swinger in Town’, and ‘Chartbusters 81’. A Timsbury resident for over 30 years, Fred died on 4th March 2010.Fred Wedlock
Fred WedlockFred Wedlock
Jeff Sluggett moved to Farmborough in1971 and in 1987 he became involved in Timsbury Theatre Group. Jeff took an increasingly active part looking after the Conygre Hall's facilities. In 2013 he took on the new role of hall manager on a completely voluntary basis. Jeff was also one of the main organisers of the Timsbury Fun Days. He died in 2020.Jeff Sluggett
Veronica Packham was a very active resident as a Parish Councillor from 1989 to 2019, the last 13 as the Chairman. She was also a St Marys school governor, on St Marys Parochial Church Council and its lead organist for many years.Veronica Packham
RETURN TO HISTORY MAIN MENU

© 2026 Timsbury Parish Council, other than where separately stated · Site created by Picablue
Whilst every effort has been made to maintain accuracy, no responsibility is accepted for any errors in content - see Terms & Conditions
To report problems with the website, contact the webmaster